Welcome to our website !

Mother-In-Law's Recipe, the beginning

By 8:44 PM ,



I am a Korean born, Australian made and most importantly, newly wed.
My husband, on the other hand, is a southern boy, born and raised in Tennessee, a place I have never heard of until the day I met him. I met my *now* husband in Seoul when he was stationed in Korea, serving US Air Force and I was vacationing after quitting my job in Sydney. Marrying an American was not quite my original intention of the trip to Korea but nonetheless, it happened and in the winter of 2014, I met my American mother-in-law for the first time.
I heard a lot about her from my fiancé by then. Mostly biased information, grumbling how typical Southern mom she was (at that time being, I would not even know what it meant to be 'Southern'), but one message was clear-She is a darn good cook.

Now let's get down to the business. What is this blog about?

It's about the first Christmas present I have received from my mother-in-law this year; a recipe book. A handwritten "Southern" recipe book, complied with recipes from past generations of my in-laws.

I know there are millions of cooking blogs out there and I do not mean to 'teach' my readers how to cook. The best shot I can get is 'mimicking' and that's what I intend to do. Just like Julie from the book&movie Julie and Julia - except, in my case, it would be a Korean daughter-in-law trying to follow recipes of Southern mother-in-law's.

If all goes smoothly, by next Christmas, I am hoping to surprise my new mother-in-law with a copy of photo recipe book, with all her (and many before her) handwritten recipes transformed into colourful dishes.
Now, there is one very critical thing you have to be aware. I know nothing about American soul food - I assume it is quite different to the Korean food I am used to. This means, often enough, I would not know what I am making and I would not guarantee the pictures you see on this blog is necessarily the true representation of the dish. But hey, ignorance is the bless they say. Unbiased means 100% honesty guarantee and I will try my best to criticize my own dish after my first attempt.

Please wish me good luck completing this new year's resolution / project 'in-laws 2015 xmas gift'.

xDaughterInLaw.

You Might Also Like

0 comments